Niko Bonatsos of General Catalyst joins Nick to discuss Investing in First-time Founders, the Evolution of Social, the Future of Big Tech, and the Freedom of Remote Work. In this episode, we cover:
- Walk us through your background and path to VC
- What’s the thesis at General Catalyst?
- Livongo… up nearly 300% since public debut last year — I hear you were in the room during the early formation stages.
- You have been at GC for almost 10 years — what has been the most significant change in VC, aside from the pandemic, since you began your career?
- What are your thoughts on the explosion of seed funds and now many angel funds as well?
- Since the pandemic broke, what’s been the most significant adjustment at GC, and/or how do you see the approach to investing changing going forward?
- What surging trends during the pandemic will continue to grow faster, and which will revert once the pandemic is over?
- Do you think this fundamentally changes benefits that are offered to employees?
- I’m not sure if you caught the recent documentary on Netflix — social dilemma explaining social media issues. Many experts argued that we are not evolved to handle all of these inputs and that big tech has and will continue to manipulate our beliefs and actions. What’s your take?
- Tweet: “Are you building a consumer product that is perceived as annoying, controversial, or stupid by most people? If yes, I’d love to hear from you!” What are some examples of consumer successes that started this way?
- What qualities does a founder need to have for you to be interested in?
- Break up big tech?
- The three data points